+7-910-347-0030 Call center
Empty
Zemlyanka
burger
Russian Empire

Russian binoculars for field artillery 8*20 produced by the Obukhov plant, 1916

1 083 $
Marking:
82325
Period:
1917 year
The original.
Have question?Ask
1 083 $
Marking:82325
Dating:1917 year
The original.
DescriptionReviews
Description

A very rare Russian field binoculars in excellent collector's condition. The original coating is completely preserved. The optics are clean. There is no mesh on the lenses. The magnification of the binoculars is 8 times, the lens diameter is 20 mm. Externally, the binoculars are almost an exact copy of the company's prism binoculars "K.Zeiss" The "RV model" is 8x20 and is a prismatic binoculars with separate focusing of the eyepieces and an enlarged stereoscopic effect, made according to the classical the "Zeiss" scheme using the Porro-1 prism system.
Structurally, the binoculars consist of two prismatic eyepieces-monoculars connected to each other by a movable hinge. The monoculars are connected in such a way that when rotating around the hinge axis, their optical axes and the axis of the hinge always remain parallel to each other. On the axis of the hinge there is a mechanism for fixing the position of the monoculars relative to the selected distance between the pupils of the observer's eyes, the drive handwheel of which is knurled along the outer surface is located between the lenses of the binoculars. Fixing-releasing the position of the monoculars is carried out by rotating the handwheel in the desired direction. The hinge assembly with a locking mechanism is made of brass in the form of a separate unit and consists of a rectangular frame that folds in half relative to the axis of the hinge. The left and right monoculars of the binoculars are attached to the hinge assembly using nickel-plated screws (5 screws for mounting each monocular). Both the left and right monoculars consist of an eyepiece assembly, an aluminum body and a lens.

The body of each of the monoculars is closed on both sides with flat brass covers, each of these covers is attached to the body of the monocular with 3 screws with a similar coating. On both upper ones the (ocular) covers of the binoculars have markings made by engraving with subsequent filling of the engraving recesses with a low-melting silver metal alloy. A special metal bracket is attached to each of the monocular cases with two screws for attaching a neck strap to the binoculars.

Binocular lenses are achromatic glues of two lenses rolled into an all-in-one brass frame with an external thread for screwing into the monocular cases. The eyepieces are made according to the optical scheme of the Waiter and consist of a base with an external thread that is screwed into the body of the binoculars, movable eyepiece clips with lenses installed in them and eyepiece couplings with a knurled on the outer surface and with black plastic eye shells fixed on them (bakelite). The couplings are equipped with diopter rings screwed into them with divisions from + 5 to — 5 applied to them for quick installation of binoculars on the observer's eyes. The cases of monoculars are covered with textured natural leather of black color, all other metal parts, except those covered with nickel, are black glossy varnish.

Клейма


    • On the lid of the binoculars from the left eyepiece: "M. M." (Maritime Ministry), " Obukhov.Stalelite. Factory" (the brand of the manufacturer).


    • On the lid of the binoculars on the side of the right eyepiece: 8X (magnification), No. 3157 (serial number of the binoculars according to the numbering accepted in the NEO Optical Workshop), 1916 (dating of the manufacture of the product).

History

In order to increase the load of equipment and personnel of the optical workshop organized at the NEO, which was created mainly to meet the needs of the fleet in optical sights for naval guns, the management of the plant in September 1905 decided to apply to the Main Artillery Department with a request to provide the workshop with orders for optical devices for the needs of the military land department. The decision on the part of the GAU was positive. Already in January 1906, the NEO was given two orders from the St. Petersburg OAU for the manufacture and supply of 315 and 72 8x magnification prism binoculars with glass angle-measuring grids for a total amount of 16.411 rubles. 50 K.. The delivery dates were set quite strict: 315 binoculars for machine-gun teams had to be delivered in stages after 6 months from the date of receipt of the order by the plant, and 72 binoculars (Hertz designs) for mortar divisions — after 4 months.


When manufacturing these binoculars, the plant had to be guided by the "Instructions for receiving binoculars with prisms of 8 - fold magnification" developed by the State Agrarian University (AS much as No193 of February 26, 1904), with the exception of paragraph 13 of this instruction concerning the device of an angle-measuring grid (micrometer). Among other things, the "Instructions" required the supplier to provide an exemplary binoculars to the GAU even before the start of serial deliveries and to apply the brand "B. U. 1904" to the manufactured binoculars. Not having at that time its own developments of field binoculars of 8-fold magnification and due to limited delivery times, the Obukhov plant decided to copy the Zeiss 8x20 binoculars, which was subsequently notified by the GAU: "when installing the fabrication by him (the plant. The best type of binoculars was selected, namely the Zeiss system, and he asked for permission to deliver, instead of 72 Hertz binoculars, the same number of Zeiss binoculars." The replacement of the GAU allowed (AS much as No7. July 1908).


In December 1906, the plant received another large order for 8x magnification prism binoculars from the St. Petersburg District Artillery Department. The plant was instructed to produce and deliver 450 8X prism binoculars to the St. Petersburg Artillery Warehouse within 14 months from the moment of receiving the order . In addition, during the period under review, several other small orders were received from various military departments , in particular, the Main Engineering Department ordered 28 8x magnification prism binoculars and 56 pairs of dark glasses for the plant according to the order No. 8133 dated December 31, 1905.


After receiving the first orders, the Obukhov plant immediately started equipping a workshop for the production of binoculars, but immediately faced serious problems. The initial plans to purchase aluminum binocular cases abroad failed and the plant had to produce these complex and critical parts itself, produce the necessary equipment for precision casting and select the aluminum alloy that is optimal for casting the cases. Special machines were required, but their delivery from abroad was delayed for 4-6 months. In addition, it was necessary to design and manufacture a lot of devices, auxiliary tools, patterns and templates. Huge difficulties were encountered in hiring qualified workers. As a result, the assembly of binoculars began only in May 1907, although all the optics and other details of the binoculars were ready in June 1906. The production of angle-measuring glass grids caused great difficulties for the plant, the quality of which stubbornly did not satisfy the GAU, and only after the decision was made by the artillery department to replace the glass grids with diaphragm ones, the issue was closed. Even fully manufactured binoculars, the plant could not hand over for a long time due to problems with binocular cases, the production of which the plant itself was not engaged in. As a result, most of the binoculars for the needs of the military department ordered by the plant in the period 1905-1906 were handed over by the plant only in the second half of 1909-early 1910.


Since 1907, in addition to the production of 8X field binoculars, the plant has also mastered the production of marine artillery binoculars with 10-fold magnification and with glass angle-measuring grids for the needs of the maritime department. However, the production of these binoculars often did not have time to cover the need for them of the maritime department and the plant instead supplied the fleet with 8x binoculars in emergency cases , but with "marine" angle-measuring grids.


In 1909, 8x and 10x prism binoculars produced by the Obukhov Plant were included in the Lists of devices and manuals allowed for use in the military. In February of the same year, the Minister of War proposed to the Obukhov Plant to start producing binoculars for the needs of the Main Directorate of Military Educational Institutions , which, in accordance with the order for BB No1-1909, had to provide graduates of military schools with prism binoculars at the state expense. The factory had to receive orders for these binoculars through the Warehouse of devices and manuals for troops at the Officer Rifle School(OSH) in Oranienbaum and hand over the manufactured binoculars there. The annual need for binoculars for graduates at that time was about 2000 — 2300 pieces.


In April 1909, the NEO and the OSH signed a condition (contract) for the supply of 400 8X binoculars produced by the Obukhov plant. Delivery time-in stages until June 20, 1909. By this time, the Zeiss company offered GAU new sealed models of prism binoculars with 6 and 8x magnification and increased aperture. After testing these binoculars, the GAU warned suppliers of optical devices that from now on only binoculars that are not inferior in quality to the new Zeiss binoculars will be purchased for the needs of the military department. The military department also determined the types of binoculars that graduates of military schools were to be supplied with: graduates of artillery military schools received field 8x binoculars with glass angle - measuring grids, all others-marine (night) 6x without grids. However, the NEO could only deliver 8X binoculars of the previous design with diaphragm angle-measuring grids to the OSH by the deadline. As a result, the Officer Rifle School accepted only 138 binoculars from the factory out of 400 manufactured, which were supplied to graduates of two infantry military schools. For all other graduates of 1909, 8x24 and 6x30 binoculars of the company "K." were urgently purchased.Zeiss".


As of May 15, 1910, the plant produced and delivered about 1200 pieces of 8X magnification binoculars, of which 1000 were ordered by the military department, and 200 by the orders of the Maritime Ministry. About 40 binoculars were stolen in the winter of 1910 before the final delivery to customers. Some of the binoculars were sold by the plant itself both during the period under review and later.

.
buy
Text:
Rules of feedback publications

Thanks for your feedback!

Your feedback will be published after administrator check.

Be attended, we will not show the feedbacks, which:

  • in capital letters;
  • contain profanity or insults;
  • not related to the consumer properties of a particular product;
  • advertising (containing the contact information and links to other sites).

Please note that by posting a feedback you take some responsibility to the readers.

Ask question
"Zemlyanka" on internet-auctions
Login
Password recovery
Registration